Sunday, November 26, 2017

Matt "Guitar" Murphy

I went to see legendary Blues Brothers guitarist Matt "Guitar" Murphy at Rick's American Cafe in Ann Arbor, Michigan while in college back in the late 1980's. I had (still have) this book "Blues Brothers: Private" by John Belushi's widow that was set up like a dossier on Jake, Elwood and the band. During a break between sets, I went up to Mr. Murphy (a HUGE guy, completely ripped) and chatted him up about the Blues Brothers. When I told him I was from Baltimore, he told me a story that when the band came through town on tour, they had steamed crabs brought into the hotel where they were staying, and they ended up tossing a bunch of the crabs out the window into the pool below. Anyway, I pull out the book which is open to the page that you see here, and I ask him to sign. He looks at it, and I suddenly realize that I am basically showing this huge guy for the first time a Chicago police rap sheet with his face on it. He scowls. A little panicky, I show him the cover, which has a Blues Brothers pin on it, and his face lights back up. He says that he's never seen the book before, flips through it, and obliges with the signature.